Texas Temporary Permits

Customers may use 72-Hour or 144-Hour temporary Texas Trip registration if:

  • The vehicle is not registered.
  • The vehicle is properly registered in an IRP state without being listed in Texas.
  • The vehicle is registered in a state which does not have a reciprocity agreement with Texas.
  • The vehicle is registered in a state which has prorated agreement with Texas but does not have a prorate sticker or registration cab card for Texas.
  • To increase weight, if the vehicle is not registered for its maximum allowable weight.

Texas One Trip Temporary Registration

Unladen vehicles needing to move temporarily on Texas highways are eligible for one-trip registration. The route must either begin or end in Texas. These permits only allow the vehicle to travel from point of origin to a point of destination and are valid for 15 days.

Texas Eligibility for One-Trip Temporary Registration

  • Passenger cars carrying passengers and property or a pulling travel trailer.
  • Travel trailers
  • A truck or truck-tractor in combination with an unladen semitrailer (both vehicles in the combination require temporary registration)
  • A truck with a mounted camper unit
  • A charter bus from another state or country (may carry property and passengers)
  • Mobile offices which are completely gutted or empty of furniture

Not Eligible for Texas One-Trip Temporary Registration

  • Manufactured housing
  • Texas-based charter buses carrying both passengers and property
  • Any laden vehicle, meaning truck, trailer, etc.
  • A fixed load vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle is of the conventional type or the unconventional type
  • Mobile offices, mobile laboratories and mobile bunkhouses (must have full registration or purchase 72/144-hour temporary registration)

How Do I Apply?

  • Apply Electronically
  • Fax Form 1710, Temporary Registration Facsimile Application to (512) 465-3565
  • Fill Form 1700, Texas Self-Issue Application and Permit by telephone (800) 299-1700

NOTE: In order to obtain temporary registration customers must file with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles one of the following:

  • Proof of financial responsibility in the form of Motor Carrier Registration
  • Certificate of Accord (Fax to (512) 465-3565)
  • Texas residents may submit an insurance card by Fax to (512) 465-3565


  • 72-Hour Temporary Registration Fee: $25
  • 144-Hour Temporary Registration Fee: $50
  • One-Trip Temporary Registration Fee: $5

For complete details see https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/temporary-permits

Texas Temporary Fuel Permits

A trip permit may be purchased in lieu of the required interstate trucker license or International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license if there are no more than 5 entries into the state during a calendar year, for qualified motor vehicles entering Texas for commercial purposes.

How to get a Texas trip permit:

  • Purchase a $50 cashier's check or money order payable to: The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
  • On the face of the cashier's check or money order write: "Trip Permit"
    • License plate number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle entering Texas
    • The date that the vehicle will enter Texas
  • The receipt from the cashier's check or money order should also be marked as "trip permit" and it needs to identify the motor vehicle by license plate number or the vehicle identification number and list the date the vehicle will enter Texas.
  • The receipt from the cashier's check or money order is the trip permit and must be in the vehicle for which the tax payment is made.

Mail the cashier's check or money order to:

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
PO Box 13528
Austin, Texas 78711-3528
Attn: Fuel Trip Permit

A trip permit is valid for only one entry into Texas and for only 20 days from the date of entry.

Note: A round trip through Texas constitutes two separate entries, even if the round trip is completed within 20 days. For example: a trip originating in Arkansas, traveling through Texas to New Mexico, and then the return trip to Arkansas would require the purchase of two Texas trip permits.

For complete details see https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/fuels/trip-permits.php.